What a brilliant meeting! It was really productive and fun, and really great to see so many new, keen people. We decided that this year we would run a 2 week social centre, with an alternative march and a family-friendly picnic day.
Alternative Pride: 29th June-12th July
Sunday 29th June: family-friendly picnic day- Ideas include facepainting, speaker’s corner and music
Programme of events covering 2 weeks: talks, workshops, food, parties.
Saturday 12th July: March- politicised, fun, inclusive and accessible.
If you’re excited by this and want to be a part of making it happen then please come along to our next organisational meeting on Saturday 17th May at 5pm, venue TBC.
Minutes from meeting 11/5/14
-Groups in attendance: No to Pinkwashing, Queer Friends of Chelsea Manning, Queer Strike, Left Front Art, Bent Bars, Survival Guides.
-A brief history of organising that the House of Brag has done
– A history of Hackney Pride, in the interest of learning from previous alternative prides.
– Discussion on core principles of the project:
- We consider squatting as a core tactical tool, in the militant spirit of pride as a protest.
- No platform/affiliation with political parties or fascists.
- Donations do not buy a platform, logo, or any other special treatment or exposure
- We don’t negotiate or engage with the police
- We aspire to create spaces emphasizing safety, inclusivity and liberation. And to centre the voices of the most marginalised within our communities.
- Addition of: Accessibility as a core principle- all films screened with subtitles, all buildings wheelchair accessible (inc. toilets)
-People suggested groups to do events including: All African Women’s Group, English Collective of Prostitutes, parent groups, teacher groups, No to pinkwashing, and others.
-Suggestion to include performances in the programme, to focus on the most marginalised experiences, and to include many causes/struggles but keep a queer focus (or at least ask for a queer speaker).
-Discussion of having a family-friendly picnic day, a march, and running a social centre.
-Decision to launch with picnic on 29th June and finish with a march on 12th July
-Decision to name the march Monstrous Pride: Onwards and Outwards.
-Discussion of the various working groups that people can join: march, programme, building, publicity/comms, picnic.
-We arranged the next meeting to be on 17th at 5pm, venue TBC